The belay certification process has been structured to ensure that you are confident in the fundamental skills of belay and includes two steps: the Belay Workshop where you will be taught and have the opportunity to refine your skills followed by an assessment called the Belay Certification where we determine that you posses the minimum competencies to be certified. A lot of new concepts and skills are introduced at the clinic and we HIGHLY encourage you attend as many clinics as are needed for you to feel confident belaying - there are no fees for attending additional clinics.
Registration: Required and can be done at the Outdoor Programs Outing Center located in the Student Recreation Center.
The Belay Workshop will cover:
- Orientation to our facility and some of the common hazards to avoid
- Introduction to the proper use and care of climbing equipment: shoes, harnesses, helmets, ropes, carabiners, and belay devices
- Knots used to tie into climbing rope
- Safety pre-climb check (between belayer and climber)
- Introduction to basic top rope climbing systems (belayer, climber, top anchor, etc.)
- Signals and belay contract commands
- Belay skills to include: safely loading belay device, anchoring when needed, belay technique, catching a climber’s fall, and lowering climber
- Basic climbing technique
For more info vist Outdoor Programs
Join our Facebook
Monday, February 25, 2013. 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Monday, March 4, 2013. 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Monday, March 18, 2013. 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Monday, March 25, 2013. 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Monday, April 1, 2013. 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Monday, April 8, 2013. 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Monday, April 15, 2013. 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Monday, April 22, 2013. 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Monday, April 29, 2013. 4:00pm - 6:00pm
FILTER BY CATEGORY
- Academic Calendar
- Arts and Cultural
- Conferences and Workshops
- Health and Wellness
- Lectures and Seminars
- Open to the Public
- Outdoor Programs
- Public Service and Fundraising
- Special Events
- Student Events
- University Holidays
- University Housing
- University Services
- Varsity Sports
- Walker College of Business
Looking for your old calendar?
If you or your office or department had a Calcium calendar for meetings, staff scheduling, private events, etc., it still exists. Please visit...
...and find your calendar in the list.
These "private calendars" are unaffected by the new public events calendar.